Baking goodies is not my usual forte as I’m normally the taste tester for my much more talented baking friends.
To be honest I simply don’t have the patience of Mary Berry, and although I take part in baking with good intentions it never quite makes it as far as a masterpiece.
But when it comes to quick throw togethers that taste good I’m all over it.
As a big fan of flapjacks I wanted to try and create a healthier version that wouldn’t spoil all the clean eating I’ve been doing. With both myself and Steve training, I wanted a treat that would be just as good for us as it tasted!
So I’ve created what I see as a great healthy tasting flapjack, jam packed full of nutritious ingredients including coconut oil, dried cranberries, dried dates, seeds, raw cashew nuts and raw pistachios. A tea time treat that won’t give you a guilt trip!
175g Coconut Oil
350g Porridge Oats
Handful of mixed Seeds
Handful of Dried Cranberries
Handful of Dried Dates
Handful of Raw Cashew Nuts
Handful of Pistachios (de-shelled)
Sprinkle of Desiccated Coconut
Now the reason I like this snack is because it’s simple to do and quick! No patience required.
1) Pre-heat the over to 150*c (300f), Gas Mark 2. Line the baking tin with baking paper.
2) Melt the coconut oil in a large pan over a low heat. Add the honey, and then steadily add the oats little by little.
3) Add all the other ingredients and mix until all combined.
4) Pack the mixture into the baking tin and bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
5) Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 15 minutes.
6) Serve with a hot cup of tea with your feet up!
Of course you can add anything you fancy to this recipe so I’d love to know what you would add.
As well as having them on their own, they’re also a great breakfast alternative crumbled up over some Greek yohgurt. (Yummy!)
I hope you enjoy these as much as I did.